Sunday, January 24, 2010

Setting the saw teeth



Here is the steel ice saw I made using the waterJET cutter (notice the variable tooth size and rake angle generated in Digital project) I also made a jig using the CNC router to set the saw teeth of my ice saw (which determines the amount of kerf in the saw blade). The jig allows the teeth to uniformly hang over the edge of a 12 degree ramp. Using a hammer, I tapped each tooth until it bends all the way to the mdf. And then flipped the saw over on the other side to repeat the process. It actually worked really well, but this is a long, drawn out method to perform a simple operation. There is a 'saw set' tool that accomplishes the same task. You can buy vintage saw sets on ebay for under $10. I have a bid on one that should win tonight. Then I can ramp up saw production for varying sizes.








Next, I filed each tooth, making it a 'cross cut' saw, which gets a different tip than a rip saw (flat teeth...like chisels). I think I took too much off the teeth, making the tips pointy and weak, but nonetheless I think I (roughly) figured out the technique. The real test will be trying it out on the ice, but since today's high is 43 degrees, that will have to wait to until later in the week when it gets cold again.



No comments:

Post a Comment